Thursday, September 10, 2009

Peanut Butter Granola Bars


I have two favorite recipes for granola bars and this is one of them. I got it from my friend Jessica C and put my own spin on it (I added the wheat germ, chocolate chips and craisins). If you have the University 11th Ward cookbook that's where I found the original recipe. I can't say they are healthy (even though they are full of oats and wheat germ) because they have so much butter and sugar - they are practically cookies!

Peanut Butter Granola Bars
1 cup sugar
3/4 cup butter, softened
1/3 cup peanut butter (I use natural peanut butter)
2.5 Tbs honey
2.5 Tbs corn syrup

Cream until smooth. Then add:

5 cups rolled oats
1 cup sliced almonds (or other favorite nut - optional)
1/2 cup wheat germ (optional)
1/2 cup chocolate chips
1/2 cup craisins

Spread on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper (or lightly greased). Bake at 350F for about 20 minutes, until set and lightly golden on top. Cool and cut into squares. Store in an airtight container or wrap individually so they are easy to grab and go!

No comments: