My sister-in-law, Rebecca, gave me this great recipe for tortillas. I know you think it's one of those recipes that's really hard but it's not. It's easy and so worth it - you'll never want to buy tortillas at the grocery store again! If I have leftovers I make them into a pizza for Tate's lunch (a little tomato sauce and cheese) and he loves it! They are also really good hot out of the pan with honey.
Tortillas
2 cups flour
2 Tbsp (heaping) shortening
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
1 Tbsp sugar
½ cup hot water
½ cup cold water
Cut shortening into dry ingredients. Add hot and cold water. Knead 10-15 minutes by hand. You will need to add more flour as you go. Dough should be soft but not stick to the counter; it’s ready when you press it with your finger and it bounces back. Let dough rest with a clean cloth over it for 20 minutes. Roll into 8-12 balls (depending on how big you want them to be), cover with cloth and let sit for 20 minutes. Roll into tortillas. Heat sauté pan over medium heat until very hot. Cook tortillas for 15-20 seconds on each side.
Monday, June 28, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
.jpg)


2 comments:
Too funny, Andrea--I flipped through 2 girls' night cookbooks last night trying to find this recipe. Had I just waited a day, I could have saved the time. Haven't tried them yet, but I'm planning on it, and trusting you when you say it's easy!
I can vouch for these...they are awesome!
Post a Comment